The Town of Braintree’s Electric Light Department (BELD) worked with Ameresco on two solar PV projects to help meet its franchise obligation to provide electricity to 16,000 customers.
“The partnership that the town has structured with Ameresco is a beneficial one that states our commitment to the usage of renewable energy as we move forward. The Town of Braintree created a Commonwealth Community Compact earlier this year and as its main commitment to continuous improvement, the Town pledged to adapt to climate change.”
– Joseph C. Sullivan
Mayor, Town of Braintree
MW DC Landfill Solar PV Capacity
kW DC Rooftop Solar PV Capacity
kWh Annual Energy Generated
The solar projects provide BELD with on-peak, non-greenhouse gas producing, electricity generation.
- Solar landfill energy savings 1.65 million kWh annually
- Solar rooftop energy savings 800,000 kWh annually
- Save equivalent of 1,689 metric tons of CO2 per year
- Enables advantageous use of landfill space
Braintree and Ameresco partnered under a 20 year Power Purchase Agreement to design, construct, operate and maintain a solar PV array on the Braintree landfill. Ameresco also designed, built, owns, and operates a rooftop solar array located on Braintree High School (BHS).
- Solar landfill energy project size 1.26 MW DC with 4,142 solar panels
- Solar rooftop energy project size 664 kW DC with 2,109 solar panels